The Maria Column with the statue of the Immaculate Virgin Mary hides cultural heritage
The Maria Column with the statue of the Immaculate Virgin Mary - Immaculata has had its place right in the heart of the town, in front of the parish church, since 1724.
The oldest of the Maria columns
The Maria Column in Spišská Nová Ves was built on the basis of a donation of the then Polish mayor Teodor Konstantin Lubomirski. It is the oldest of the Maria columns which this Count had built in the years 1724 - 1730 in further Spiš towns during the period of the so-called Polish Lease. Immaculata was made, according to available literature, by the sculptor Friedrich Horn from Levoča.
The metal box with period artifacts for future descendants
The Maria Column was renovated several times in the past. This cultural monument was renovated after more than 110 years, in 2009 - 2010. The restored original Immaculata was placed for safekeeping and can be seen in the premises of the Town Hall.
An interesting fact is that in 2010 a metal box with period artifacts was placed in the reconstructed Maria Column while it was mounted again. These artifacts will tell Spiš citizens the whole story about the reconstruction and period when it occurred.