Reduta is an Art Nouveau building built within the years 1899 - 1902. It cost almost half a million crowns and had immense admiration. They celebrated it as “a temple of beauty, good and truth”. Until today, there are only 8 similar historically valuable theatre buildings.
The architect Kálmán Gerster designed the building in Spišská Nová Ves in a way, that besides the theatre itself, a hotel, concert hall in the middle of the building and also a café were incorporated in it. The house had a white and golden decoration and the auditorium’s capacity was 235 seats.
It is a three-storey building with a longitudinal ground plan with four corner spires and pyramidal roof and it culminates in a decorative helmet and lantern. The helmets culminate in an onion roof. On the corners are plastic vases with the indication of a flame. The northern and southern walls are decorated with an avant-corp. When entering Reduta there is a portico on two Ionic columns, whose upper part is modified as a terrace with balustrades. Below it there is a path used in the past as an access road for carriages. Pedestrians can use the stairway.
The ceremonial - concert hall is located exactly in the center of the building. A basic motive of decoration is a large coat of arms of Spišská Nová Ves, as a symbol of singing and poetry. According to ancient myth the swan loves music and sings beautifully upon dying. The floor and part of the ground floor were used as a restaurant, café and hotel. Currently there is no hotel.
Radničné námestie 4,
Spišská Nová Ves
- Reduta - exterior
- Reduta - theatre
- Reduta - Concert Hall
- The Roman-Catholic Parish Church - exterior
- The Roman-Catholic Parish Church - interior
- The highest church tower (87m)
- Town hall and the place of wishes
- Town hall - interior
- The Evangelical church - exterior
- The Evangelical church - interior
- The Roman-Catholic Church of the Immaculate Conception of the Virgin Mary
- Statue of Captain Nalepka
- The Provincial House
- The Roman-Catholic Church of Divine Mercy
- Exhibition of gifts received by Pope John Paul II.
- The Municipal Office and Štefánik
- The Jewish cemetery
- The Greek-Catholic Cathedral of the Transfiguration of the Lord
- The Spiš artists’ Gallery - interior
- The Spiš artists’ Gallery - exterior